CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 2, 2008

A Friday like no other....

I dropped D off at the gym at 5:30, which is what I always do....just drop him off; tell him I love him and tell him to do his best. Abby wanted to go to the mall (which is directly across the street from the gym) So we headed over to the mall to play and ride the horses and get a cookie. The girls played for about 20 min. then rode the horses twice and we headed off to get our cookie (that is how a bribe them to leave the mall.) After I got their cookies, I checked my phone, don't know why I was checking it but I was......and I had a message. The message was from the gym they needed me to get to the gym as fast as I could b/c D got injured, they thought he probably dislocated his elbow (which sounds painful enough to me.) I call Trey while I am trying to hurry the girls through the mall and he had just gotten off the phone w/ the gym and was only a couple minutes away so he said he would go get him. I got the girls loaded in the van and we were leaving the mall and I saw Trey leaving the gym. I had Trey pull up next to me so I could see D and he didn't look good, he was in a lot of pain. I told him I would run home and pick up a couple things and meet him at the hosp.

By the time I got to the hosp. D was already in a room and the nurse was giving him some pain medicine through and IV. The Dr. had already come in and told Trey (before x-rays) that it was not a dislocated elbow, it was break, a really bad break. So we figured we might be at the hosp. for awhile so I called a friend to come get the girls (I was thinking an hr. or two) The x-ray tech came and took x-rays of D arm (right arm) and then we got the bad news from the Dr. They would have to do surgery and it needed to be done that night. The Dr. also thought D could have some nerve damage, another reason for doing the surgery that night. I called my brother and he asked if we needed him to do anything or if he should meet us at Chrildren's. I said I didn't think so, but then I told D that Coby wanted to come see him, D smiled so I called my brother and told him to come on up. So he sent us on our way to Children's.......We got there and checked in he went in for surgery around 12a. They had to put 3 pins in. The Dr. said the only worse break there is...is if the bone comes out of the skin.

D did great the whole time. The Dr. said they got his bones lined up well and that he should make a full recovery. My brother stayed until D got out of surgery and into his room (almost 3a). I stayed the night and Trey went home around 3 (he had to work Sat. morning for a few hrs.) I got about 2 hrs. of sleep that night. D was in pain and uncomfortable plus I was thinking about my girls and praying, lots and lots of praying.

My brother came back the next morning, brought me breakfast and made D smile (he was being so goofy, but it made D smile.)

We were so impressed by the one on one care and timely care that D received both at Moore and at Children's. For the surgery he had 3 Dr. in the room w/ him (and it was after hrs., so they were all on-call) We thank God for the care D received.

We were also amazed by the concern from our friends and family. Terri and Russ picking up Treys car at the Moore Hosp. and getting in home so we didn't have to mess w/ it. Michelle and Amie for taking care of my girls (a lot longer than 2 hrs.) My brother coming Friday and Sat. And for the many phone calls, prayers, cards, cookies and offers of help. I know the entire process went well b/c of those prayers. D is on his way to feeling better. He is in a sling right now and will be getting his cast hopefully this wk. He will have the cast on for 3-4 wks. and then they will take the pins out after that. Dalex has already said he wants to go back to gymnastics as soon as he can. He is amazing, we are so blessed.

D is the only one to tell us what happened at the gym. He was on the P Bars and fell the first time and landed on his back then the next time he fell (through the middle not the outside) and tried to catch himself w/ his hands.

We have some great pictures of the whole process, but the pic.'s were taken from our phone and I can't figure out how to get them to my blog. The pic of the broken arm is amazing. If I have your e-mail address I will e-mail them to ya.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

What a scary ordeal. I'm glad D is doing better. And you too. Not fun for Momma! And you know we are all here for you. All you have to do is call!!

Jenny said...

Yikes Melica! This is the first I have heard about your scary ordeal. Seeing your children in pain is so unbearable and I am glad you had a great support system to help you through. Prayers for a quick recovery!

Jessi said...

Wow, what a night you had! I'm glad D is okay and will be able to go on with gymnastics! What a tough kid you have!